Start date:October 2015
Research Topic:Objective measures in stress and fatigue in train crew
Research Supervisor:Professor Andrew P Smith
Supervising school:Ysgol Seicoleg, Prifysgol Caerdydd
Primary funding source:ESRC Studentship
The aim of my research Cardiff University will be to develop objective measures in stress and fatigue in train crew. This will be achieved by addressing the following objectives:
- Objective One: To determine the scale of occupational stress and fatigue in train drivers using survey and qualitative methods.
- Objective Two: To develop mobile phone methodology (tests of alertness and attention) to provide indicators of crew fatigue.
- Objective Three: To develop a model of fatigue that can be used to plan work schedules which maximise safety and wellbeing.
- Objective Four: To develop training packages that increase awareness of stress and fatigue.
- Objective Five: To develop a tool to assess the efficacy and impact of organisational changes and training.